It's been awhile since I've updated, and a great many things have happened, mostly of the good variety. I'm feeling less isolated in the program finally, as people have decided that going out for drinks or to dinner is a fantastic idea that will make everyone so much happier! Last Thursday night a group of us went to the Leafe for drinks. Mostly Americanists showed up, but a few CMA-ers arrived, which was nice. The only awkward bit was that our waiter was a guy that I went on a date with freshman year before realizing what a sketchy bastard he was... I'm pretty sure he recognized me. But oh, well, great way to break the ice with the grad students! After drinks a few of us went out to another bar with karaoke-- always a good time.
Friday night was another night of friends and fun, only this time with I.T. Stephen and I had a few I.T.-ers over for a movie night and got to meet one of the two newbies that we didn't already know. I liked seeing everyone, but it felt a little odd to have them over. Stephen and I both felt old and somewhat out of place. After they left I had reading to do, which put a damper on things and accentuated the 'out of place' feeling. Still, I love I.T.
Saturday, though, came the crowning moment of the weekend!!! Callie had her Pirate Party in Staunton. Mike S. and I went, fully decked as pirates, and had a fantastic time. I haven't seen Callie since Ren Faire, Katie since July, Dez since July, or Annie for an extended period since July, nor have I had rum in ages!!! Or dressed up!!! I love dressing up. Putting on costumes, the liberty to look and be whatever you want no matter how over the top. I had such a good time. Plus, Callie's bf can cook. He made us curry chicken and we had naan bread and rice before the party started. Lovely. All of us girls 'wenched-out' and we watched Muppet Treasure Island and enjoyed friends, laughs, drinks, happiness, being young. I love parties in Staunton.
Sunday, though, I paid. I felt a little hungover in the morning (just a touch) and spent most of the day lazing in Richmond with pizza and football before heading home. Then I had ALL of my reading for Hoffman's class. That took nearly all night before I stopped for a touch of sleep, only to continue reading all morning and early afternoon. I'm still catching up on sleep from that haul. BUT I finished the reading, which is the important part, and was prepared to discuss in class. I actually felt like class went well-- we'll see how this coming week goes-- I'm in charge of leading discussion and writing the 10-page paper. Eeesh. Luckily, before class I got a bit of a break in the form of dinner with Laura! I mentioned to her that the program felt isolating and she agreed. We decided to make Monday night dinners a weekly event to combat isolation, and to hang out some on weekends. We discovered that we both studied abroad in England at the exact same time and we both got to see 1 Henry VI at the RSC! I really like Laura. I hope we get to continue hanging out together. In Anne's words, she's a Kindred Spirit.
That night, of course, I had to continue reading for my Spain class, and I spent all of Tuesday and Wednesday morning reading and compiling an intellectual biography of a historian named Anthony Pagden. Except for when I was at the Reves Center-- where I've been working non-stop to coordinate World Savvy and to finish up processing the Photo Contest information. I swear, this photo contest has taken over my life.
Last night, I went to a concert at the Norva with Mike S. We saw a band called The Decemberists. The show was fantastic-- they were quite theatrical, their songs are lyrically witty, and they had an AMAZING guest female vocalist with them for a performance of their rock-opera The Hazards of Love. We had to stand the whole time like groundlings, which wasn't too bad until near the end when my lower back was really hurting from standing still for four hours. I didn't really notice it, though, when the band was playing, just during the set breaks.
Today has been more reading, plus class. I actually felt encouraged after my meeting with Professor Homza today, though, which was a first. I didn't feel stupid, or like I was so far behind everyone else I'd never catch up. She said that the adjustment from undergrad to grad was hard-- that it was for her, too. That encouraged me, because I really respect her and her work, so if she had trouble at first but is who she is now, maybe I can do it, too. Not that I feel like I can't do the program, just that not having a thesis topic is weighing me down and not having any positive reinforcement from any professional sector really doesn't help.
Anyways, it's essentially the weekend now, just three more hours at the Reves to put in this week, and I'm ready for a good long sleep, followed by finding a thesis topic, followed by eradicating the fruit-flies from the kitchen (which I need Stephen's cooperation to do). 'Twill be a busy weekend of reading, I fear, but hopefully it will have its rewards.
I'm glad the concert was so good! And I definitely understand the IT thing... people you love, but who aren't a part of your world in the same way they used to be. Still, I hope that was fun too!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had fun at the party! I swear, my favourite thing about parties here is that people dress up when we tell them we're theming. It makes me so giddily excited. :D Hope I'll see you at Halloween!
ReplyDelete