Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Does Anybody See What I See?

I see fireworks! I see the pagaent and
Pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans - all Americans
Free forever more
~1776: The Musical

Yesterday was the loveliest Fourth of July in recent memory. As I recall, three years ago Kay made me wear a funny visor :), two years ago I was stuck in NIAHD and it rained through the fireworks so I spent the evening in the dorm, and last year my heart was broken and it hurt so much just to breathe, though I smiled through it with my friends. But yesterday was a wonderful mix of patriotism and All-American foods and that summery feeling you get when it's humid out and your gas tank is full and you can do anything.

The Fourth of July-ness kicked off at Kilwin's Ice Cream with Kacey, where I got a scoop of my favorite "Kilwin's Track" ice cream made with real fudge and peanut butter, and we sat outside in the shade to eat. Then I returned home for to get my camera and Laurel's address, ended up accidentally dozing for a little while (but it was nice), and then went to pick up Zan. We headed over to Laurel's for her Fourth of July BBQ, and I got to see people I didn't even know would be there, like Amy and a few others from Reves. Everyone was so nice, and they had the best ears of corn which felt like something to be eaten on the Fourth, and a red velvet cake. I love get-togethers like that; it reminds me that I do have friends in Williamsburg, and lots of people to have fun with for the next year. We only stayed for about an hour though, because we (well, I) had our hearts set on mini-golf.

It was early evening by this point, and the heat was breaking, so off we drove to Pirate's Cove Mini-Golf Adventure! Awhile back we played the "Blackbeard's Challenge" course, so this time it was "Captain's Adventure." We did much better this time around, and we took pictures! The course was basically empty, too, so we could take our time on each hole and take as many pictures as we wanted. I love mini-golf so much!

After mini-golf, we stopped by farm fresh for hotdogs, mustard, and wavy potato chips, then headed back to Zan's to make dinner. I found St. Elmo's Fire on the magic box, so we settled down to our very-Fourth-of-July dinner with a classic 80's movie. While not exactly a patriotic movie, it feels like summer, I think.

As soon as we had finished eating we hopped in the car to go see the CW Fireworks. We parked in the employee lot, then walked until we were seated between the Courthouse and the Powder Magazine. How can you not feel patriotic watching fireworks between these two buildings, so old and proud and full of history? And the fireworks were better this year than last, I think. And they exploded in the sky so big and bright and Zan held my hand and we quietly hummed The Battle Hymn of the Republic and I felt so happy and even though my bag has an 18th-century English actress on it and is from the RSC where I want to work and live, I am very glad I am American. At the end of the day, I appreciate that my passport will always let me back into this country, and I will never forget how much I missed the USA when I studied abroad.

We drove home with 1776 blaring, singing along to The Lees of Old Virginia and The Egg and feeling just as American as you like, (waiting for the chirp, chirp, chirp of an eaglet being born).

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment