Kick-off was at 6:00 Friday evening, and even though I easily did the least work of anyone on the team, I still slept from 8:30 last night to 8:30 this morning. 24 Speed, for those who don't know, is a filmmaking contest in which you have, you guessed it, 24 hours to make a two-to-four minute movie. We met at iHop at 5:45, decided on a genre by 6:30, and then, after about 45 minutes of planning... I took out The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Don't blame me, blame Stieg Larsson! If you've ever read these books you know that they are next to impossible to put down when you have only 150 pages to go. Which was all I had to go. It's amazing I lasted for as long as I did in the planning portion. And anyway, the movie was in the very capable hands of Tom, Zan, Steven, Annie, and Tori. And I looked up every now and again to figure out what was going on, so I wasn't totally in the dark.
At around 8:30 we broke from iHop with a conversation that went like this:
"Ok, I'll get spaghetti, candles, and two sets of clothing. Anything else?"
"No, I have knives and a gun."
"Great. Meet you at the clubhouse." I think it sounded really sketchy to the iHop employees.
I got the necessary props (including cooking spaghetti), drove to the location, then I read. And read. And read some more. I finished the book just as they finished the script. I helped set up the location to look like a restaurant. I stood in for Ed and Tori (who were memorizing the script) so that Zan could get the lighting right for the shots. I changed into my nice 'restaurant patron' clothes to be an extra in the first scene (although in the final cut you only see my arm for about half a second).
Then at around 3:30 in the morning my eye went wonky. It felt like there was something in it, so I tried to take out my contact which hurt an ungodly amount. Since I was done with all of my extra work, I went home. I had black holes in my vision (which has never happened before and was terrifying, by the way) and was pretty sure I was going blind in my left eye. Luckly, 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep sorted it out. I'm sticking with glasses for the next few days to be safe. At 9:00 in the morning, I was back at the apartment to be moral support for the editing portion, only leaving for a bite to eat and then to read microfilm for an hour and to pick up pizza for everyone for dinner. Our movie, Wolf's Eye, made it in to the competition in time-- finished and sent by 6:00 Saturday night. As soon as it's on Youtube I'll post it here for everyone to see. I'm really proud of it. I think it turned out amazingly (very little thanks to me).
Hope everyone else had a great weekend, too!
Wow interesting post girl :) great insight! I really like your blog!
ReplyDelete