Today and the next few days mark a dizzying array of some very important endings and beginnings. To begin, today I worked my last day at the ASC as a dramaturg intern. Last night I packed my bags. It was harder than I had expected; last month, as I packed for London, I relished the prospect of escaping Staunton for a few days. Last night, as I prepared to leave the Shakesfear house forever, I did so with a heavy heart. Today I woke up, dressed and went to Coffee on the Corner, and then entered the Blackfriars for the last time as an intern. We had a dress of The Winter's Tale, which went extremely well, so I guess it went out on a high note. Even having worked with the "Almost Blasphemy" tour for only a few weeks, I feel very attached to them. I wish I had time to get to know each of them better. I asked Rick jokingly if it would be alright if I just jumped in the van and toured with them. Leaving this incredible group of people so near the beginning, without seeing all that they have to offer in the next two shows and over the next ten months, feels terribly sad. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the shows over Christmas. How the summer has flown.
But the end of Staunton means the beginning of other things. First the happy: now I'm back in DC for the rest of the week for Kay's wedding!!! And I hope this, for her, will be the beginning of so much happiness! Tonight we are hopefully going for strawberry daiquiris, tomorrow is the rehearsal dinner, and Friday she will be a married woman! I'm certain I will have many pictures and much more to report after the weekend of this wonderful event!
Friday also marks a much sadder remembrance: the anniversary of my brother's death. There is much grief in this, but it's of a more personal nature than I would like to write about on this blog. Suffice to say, I miss him, and love him, and honor his memory. Though Friday will be a day of great joy with Kay's wedding, I know I will also be thinking of Cal, and of my sister-in-law Corinn, and of Sophia and Henry and Bruno. I always thought in church that the most beautiful phrase that could be said for someone is this, "Let light perpetual shine upon them." So I hope, for Cal, that light perpetual shines upon him. It's the most beautiful thing I can think to say to him, what I would want said to me.
Now is a liminal period, a time for remembering, and for weddings, and my birthday coming up, and a few weeks of vacation and Virginia and packing, but mostly the end of Staunton signals the beginning of something else altogether-- Seattle!
Friday will be a day full of lots of emotions for you, hopefully mainly happy memories and happy future memories. You said you were getting your hair cut on Thursday? How did it go??
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the next few days with the moving process. Just remember- chocolate works wonders :)