Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Little Things

On Thursday my friend Lauren gave me a bag of tomatoes picked fresh from our friend Brian's garden. There were three big red ones and lots of little orange and red and yellow ones. There's something about fresh produce and being gifted fresh produce... it felt like with my little bag of tomatoes I had an impossible abundance of food and love.

The cast of The Winter's Tale also started learning a dance routine based on Dirty Dancing, which may have given me more joy than anything has in weeks. I also found myself thanking my lucky stars that I didn't have to learn this dance-- choreography and I have never been fast friends. The 45 minute dance lesson, though, was amazing.

On Friday morning I hurried into Coffee on the Corner just before 10:00 rehearsal. I approached the counter, as usual, and the girl said, "Medium vanilla chai latte?" I was taken aback! Have I really been here so much that they know my order? "Why, yes... medium vanilla chai latte. And a cinnamon-raisin bagel with butter, please." (I don't get bagels nearly as often). It felt right, to be a 'regular' somewhere. The sad part is, I only have three more days of vanilla chai lattes before my internship ends and I leave Staunton for newer climes. But that moment-- that little tiny moment-- made me suddenly overflow with love for the town.

Last night I drove to Williamsburg to see Harry Potter with Zan, as we had planned for ages. It was so nice to sit in a darkened theater and just lose myself in a story that I started reading thirteen years ago. Thirteen years! I wasn't overly sentimental-- I didn't cry-- but it was kind of nice to see it all wrap up so sweetly, with the three of them standing on the bridge to Hogwarts (let's just pretend the epilogue didn't happen, ugh).

4 comments:

  1. But wasn't it nice to know Harry named his kid after Dumbledore AND Snape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your thoughts on the HP epilogue... I gotta say that I agree completely :)

    Oh, I've always wanted to have someone remember my order at a coffee shop. But then again, I never venture into coffee shops. You're living the dream!

    Hope the move goes wekk, don't stress!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I want to see that dance routine... jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, HP, I was in my child ed classes when I started reading HP books.
    I'm back blogging after so long. Catching up on reading your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete