Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fremont Solstice Parade




A Seattle staple, I was told.  So Zan and I had to go.  We decided to walk over, even though it was a bit of hike, and I'm so glad we did for so many reasons.  Besides the obvious-- avoiding traffic jams, not worrying about where to park-- on the way over, we got so much exercise and saw so many beautiful houses, local cafes, and vintage shops.  Every now and then, like yesterday, I catch a glimpse of why so many people love this city.  Every now and then, I could see myself falling in love with it, too.  Then the parade!  I think the pictures speak for themselves.  It begins with naked bicyclists painted in various ways, then a real parade with floats representing local dance companies, businesses, and people just enjoying the return of summer.  Everything and everyone felt so alive! The parade gave me hope for the future-- if all of these wonderful, creative, people exist, then the Earth (or at least Seattle) must really be a fantastic place.

And because I love writing about food, Zan and I got sandwiches from a (mostly) locally-sourced organic sandwich shop and they were amazing-- turkey, bacon, and avocado! :)  It was so much fun to stand on the curb with our sandwiches watching the parade go by.

Please also notice that the parade included the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a little boy on stilts, and across the street a Starbucks.  Typical Seattle. :)


(All photos by me, please do not reuse without credit back to this blog)

4 comments:

  1. The costumes and the floats all look so awesome! And I love the little kid of stilts. I wish I could do that.

    Shame you couldn't post the other pics, though, they sound hilarious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a crazy fun parade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know that, in all my years in Seattle, I still have never made it to the parade?? Alas. I agree, it's a nice walk from where you are to the Center of the Universe; and yes yes yes, you too will be seduced by Seattle in the summer! It's really hard to beat the NW once summer actually comes around - you'll see!

    Also, sounds like you went to Homegrown, eh? Which was, based on your photos, probably right behind you? I love that place - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TURKEY, BACON, AND AVOCADO SANDWICHES?!?! Be still my heart. Hopping on a plane for Seattle right this very moment!! Although, I'm pretty sure they have them closer to home too.

    I like that *that* was my first thought. Not the beautiful pictures you posted about the cool parade you attended. Nah, I go straight for the food :)

    I owe you an email. Which I will hopefully write tomorrow on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete