I walked into Voxx coffee in Eastlake on Tuesday afternoon. It looked just the same as it looked in July, before all of this started, when I was just getting an inkling that maybe I might possibly have the strength to make the right choice for me. That maybe I might have the strength to quit the program. My colleague Samer sat at just the same table, with his laptop and dissertation materials spread out just the same as in July. It was almost as if nothing had changed, but these last few months have been momentous for both of us. He's had a hit show go up and tour in Israel, he's scheduled his dissertation defense, he's preparing for a conference in Australia. I've quit my program and have started carving out a new path for myself. I'm moving across the country in a few days. Luckily, our paths crossed just long enough to say hello and goodbye.
This whole week has been full of goodbyes. On Thursday I said goodbye to Liz. We met at Smith, where we first had cocktails and corn fritters before the start of classes in 2011, when I was new to Seattle and didn't know anyone, and where since there have been many nights of cocktails and gossip. It was hard saying goodbye to Liz, but I know deep down we'll see each other again soon. Then last night I went to Peets with Katie for coffee, our usual place. We had lattes and cookies and talked about writing and teaching and PhDs and the future. I'm going to miss having Katie and Dan as next door neighbors more than I can say, but again, I'm hopeful that we'll be back to visit them and we won't lose touch. Thank goodness for the internet.
Tonight is our final game night with Sarah and Cass. This, too, will not be the easiest of goodbyes. I know I will keep up with them and their lives, but it's not the same as having them just a short drive away with a house full of good food and Game of Thrones episodes and Munchkin. Tomorrow my mom arrives, I'm due for a few more farewells to some dear friends, the movers come on Monday, and then it's goodbye Seattle.
But soon it will be time for hello again! I was in a Wawa the other day and got a coke with a shot or two (or three or four) of vanilla in it and thought of you. I also read an article about how hard cider was the greatest of all alcoholic beverages and thought of you. I guess what I am trying to say is that there's a correlation between my thirstiness and my thinking of you.
ReplyDelete