Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Rude and Not Ginger

Lately, I'm obsessed with all things British. Not that this is particularly new, but since returning to Williamsburg after break Zan, Mike, and I have been compulsively watching Dr. Who. We started with and passed through the Christopher Eccleston episodes and are now into the first season with David Tennant. I just want to say, Number 10 is my Doctor. Last night we did watch a bit of the first episode with Tom Baker, and he seems crazy and cool (with that scarf!), but no one can compare to David Tennant. At least, not yet. We'll see how Number 11 goes after I've finished up the David Tennant episodes and after they've made a few Number 11 episodes for me to watch. Also, as part of our watching all things Dr. Who all the time, we also watched a special episode of The Weakest Link where Dr. Who actors played for their favorite charities. K-9 was even on! And no Billie Piper! I kind of hate her, not in a jealous way, but in a "Jesus, Rose Tyler, why are you so annoying???" way. Mike agrees with me, but Zan thinks Rose is nice. Moreover, Zan and I became obsessed with Cafepress-- type in Dr. Who and watch the merchandise appear! I want so much of it!!! Especially the I <3 <3 The Doctor shirts and mugs and magnets. Because he has two hearts. So clever.

Additionally, I've been listening to BBC Radio 1 in my car. I've become a fan of British radio. They are SO FUNNY. The Sara Cox show had a great segment about calandars yesterday, and a few days ago a man told a joke about a rabbit that fell completely flat with the other co-host but was hilarious in his British accent. And the songs! Another Mumford and Sons called "The Cave," Marina and the Diamonds "Hollywood," and Florence and the Machines "The Dog Days are Over."

As if to drive home the Britishness, one of my committee members suggested that I alter my thesis to make it more manageable, and the alteration he suggested was to focus on David Garrick and his effects and influence on English and colonial American theaters in his lifetime. This would significantly pare back my time period (to the 1740s-1770s, nothing beyond the Revolution) and would allow me to concentrate more fully on the English side of things. It would not, however, make unusable my American Company knowledge, as David Douglass recruited actors from Garrick's Drury Lane. It all connects beautifully, and would give me the opportunity to more fully explore English theater than my previous topic incarnation. I really like the idea of this shift, and hope it works. To tie this in further to the title of my post, my thesis prospectus concludes with a quote from Dr. Who: "The theatre is magic, isn't it? You stand on this stage, you say the right words with the right emphasis at the right time-- oh, you can make men weep! Or cry with joy. Change them. You can change men's minds just with the words in this place."

Yes, I have a hip thesis prospectus. It's with the times, what can I say?

Finally, I get to go to the UK this summer for sure! We start in Edinburgh, and then head down to Stratford-Upon-Avon to see Antony and Cleopatra at the RSC!!! I'm so excited!!! And, of course, side trips to research sites for my thesis :). Hooray!

Also, I'm noticing there are lots of British Davids... Tennant, Garrick, Douglass... two of them are Scottish! Prizes in the form of my love for those that know which two!!!

1 comment:

  1. I keep feeling like Dr. Who is something I need to watch, since so many people seem (mildly to seriously) obsessed with it. I just... never have.

    ReplyDelete