Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Valentine's Mystery

I was going to make a new post titled something like, "If music be the food of love, play on," and include links to Youtube videos of my favorite new songs, and perhaps tell you all about the books I've been reading for my thesis, but before I get into that, something exciting happened!

I woke up early this morning because my parent's are in town and I told them I would go get breakfast with them at Cracker Barrel. I got dressed, fed my cat, checked my e-mail, usual routine. And then my mom called to tell me they were here to pick me up, so I grabbed my coat and bag and headed downstairs. All very usual. But as I opened the door to the outside, I saw a big box of chocolates taped to the glass. I peeled away the tape, and there was a note as well! It said, "For A." Inside was a lovely card, filled with the nicest things about me, unsigned. I don't recognize the handwriting, and anyway, it looks as if the author tried to disguise it a little. A Valentine's Mystery. It certainly started off my Valentine's Day in a much more pleasant way than I could have possibly hoped for, given that Sphinx cat is currently my only romantic interest... what a wonderful Valentine's surprise! So, if you are reading this, thank you Secret Valentine!!! ...who could it be?

On another Valentines-ish note, I saw The Young Victoria with my parent's last night. I have long thought that Victoria and Albert have one of the sweetest, saddest love stories, and while the movie itself was actually pretty happy, I found myself sobbing when he said, "When we are old, and surrounded by our children..." The curse of a history major/masters student. Anyways, if you haven't seen it, go see The Young Victoria! I will even go with you, if you are near me and have no one else to see it with!

As to the original post that I had planned, here, have some good music! Just type in the titles on Youtube!!! These songs supplement the songs that I told you all to listen to in my other post. Such as Marina and the Diamonds "Hollywood," and Florence and the Machine "The Dog Days." Also, I hope you all have kept up with your Mumford and Sons, because their album comes out on TUESDAY!!! Currently I'm addicted to the song "Winter Winds." But here are some more artists who I am currently loving.

Laura Marling: "Devil's Spoke," "My Manic and I," "Goodbye England"
Sam Sparro: "Black and Gold"
The Weepies: "Gotta Have You," "Painting by Chagall,"

I'm especially enamoured of Laura Marling, at the moment. The video for "My Manic and I" is very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland and quite creepy but beautiful.

Finally, for those of you still reading this long post, I have read SO MUCH about David Garrick in the past two days. I have read Shakespeare and Garrick front to back, I have read the hundred or so pages dedicated to performance in Pleasures of the Imagination, and I'm working my way through David Garrick: A Critical Biography. And today I get to go to the library to check out even more books! Thesis chunk here I come!!!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! I love you and miss you, and I am so lucky to have you as a best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day -- I'm glad you received secret chocolates, very mysterious and heartwarming.

    I've watched the movie The Young Victoria about twenty times now and I still absolutely love it. I think I could watch it a million more times and still never watch it enough.

    And as to Laura marling, since we talked on AIM, I've basically been listening to "My Manic & I" non-stop. It's such a good song and it's always stuck in my head. So I both thank and slightly curse you for introducing her to me.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric and I saw "The Young Victoria" twice in theatres. We now have the poster in our living room.

    I totally want to hear more about this V-Day Mystery.

    ReplyDelete