Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

drove to Chicago, all things go

Hello friends! The Great American Roadtrip is underway!

So far, it's been smooth going. There was a little panic Tuesday night as the car place told me my car wouldn't be ready until Wednesday... and we were planning on packing it Tuesday night and leaving Wednesday morning. But it wasn't so bad; we managed to pick it up, pack it up, and be on the road by noon on Wednesday. It was really hard to leave Williamsburg, especially saying goodbye to Zan :(. But he'll be in Seattle himself in four months (happy thoughts)!!!

We decided to take I-64 across Virginia and West Virginia and into Kentucky. We stopped in Staunton so I could pick up my teakettle (I can't live without tea, let's be honest) and my coral necklace. Then we headed to Beckley, WV. We stopped at this wonderful local crafts place which also has a 'local foods' food court. Then we drove into the night, stopping at Frankfurt, KY. There was no room at the first inn, so we had to drive around a bit, avoided a sketchy Best Western, and ended up in a nice-ish hotel in the downtown area.

Then we were off to Chicago! We ate at a Steak 'N Shake (Heaven!) on the drive up through Indiana, and we got to Chicago yesterday afternoon. We promptly checked into a hotel on the north side, and then I was off to downtown to meet up with Emily! We went to a bar/restaurant called Sable for some small plates and cocktails, then went to another restaurant to meet up with my friend Christina. The second restaurant had a patio and live jazz and was absolutely wonderful. I like Chicago when it's warm; unfortunately, before yesterday, I had only ever been here in October and February. Not the best times to come.

While having dinner, Emily, Christina, and I realized that we had been friends for a.long.time. We remember each others fourteenth birthday parties. And knew each other even before that. I've been friends with them since sixth grade-- since I was twelve. Half a lifetime of friendship. It's really, really nice to have that kind of friend, and it's really nice to have cocktails and lobster bisque and key lime pie sitting on a breezy patio in Chicago with that kind of friend.

But now, it's time to get back on the road. Today-- House on the Rock! If anyone has read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it's where they go and ride the carousel and get to Valhalla. If you haven't read the book, find it and read it immediately.

Pictures to come at the end of this crazy trip!

4 comments:

  1. HOUSE ON THE ROCK! How awesome! I'm so jealous!

    You and Zan will be fine--Skype often, and make time for each other, knowing that virtual time actually requires as much (and sometimes more) effort than in-person time to make the quality as high. And when you see each other again?!? Nothing beats that feeling. Take care on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM READING AMERICAN GODS RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, that blew my mind... we are such blog twins :)

    But really I came over here to scold you. You haven't seen the Sherlock Holmes TV version?! Shame on you! I think you will love it to pieces. I know you are super busy but when you need to procrastinate- go and watch it.

    Your roadtrip sounds like so much fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had completely forgotten that it's a real place! Take pictures. =)

    Now I want key lime pie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thanks, Kay. Now I want key lime pie too.

    ReplyDelete