Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Packing Process

I hate packing. I don't mind packing for an overnight thing, or even for a three or four day thing, but beyond that just sucks. Currently, I'm packing for a four year thing.

I know I want to take my dishes (which were a Christmas gift and, yes, have Mickey Mouse on them) and I want to take my Soda Stream (how have I survived without it all summer?) and I need to take my teacups and some pots and pans and silverware.

Then books! My friend Megan suggested that I ship my books through Media Mail. I think this is an excellent idea. But which ones to take? Which will I want and need? And will I really have time for reading anything at all besides my assigned reading? And what about towels and bedding and first aid stuff and make-up and knick-knacks and and and...

But most importantly: the clothing. I have so many clothes. Most of them are old, some I've had since high school or freshman year of college. I was reading about Project 333, where one woman lives for 3 months with 33 items of clothing, including shoes and accessories, not including pajamas. I decided I wanted to try it. But one look at my closet told me that I have not the will-power. But the idea of living with just the basics seems nice. So I'm desperately trying to pair down my wardrobe-- at least what I'm planning to take to Seattle-- and to keep my kitchen simple (and Mickey-themed, by default) and to generally HAVE LESS STUFF.

Look for Ebay sales in the near future. :)

4 comments:

  1. I suggest that you read something Buddhist prior to packing. It always puts me in a more productive mindframe (less attachment to general stuff, an allowance for my attachment to things I really love, and an overall desire to live more simply.) You probably won't have time to do anything other than your assigned reading, but you'll need to give your brain a break, so take your favorite novels at least, and anything really critical to your field! As for clothes...well, when I cam to WM I took all my basics, my most beloved items, and a handful of occasional wear. And then I purchased additional items as I needed them, but I found that my tastes changed once I wasn't saddled with all of my wardrobe. For example, I stopped buying menswear. :-) Hopefully you don't have that problem! But it was nice, I added pieces that reflected my current tastes, and probably reflected influence from my new surroundings, and because I didn't come with my whole wardrobe, I didn't feel bad about doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overnight, three days, four years... it's all the same, right?

    I'm just planning on throwing all my stuff in the car at the last possible minute, so at least you're trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate packing!! Esxpecially when it's for something huge like what you're doing.

    Also on the clothing front, I just threw out some clothes that I've had since high school. I thought it was disgraceful that I was still wearing the same clothes. I'm 25, not 17... I think there is a different dress code- although knowing me, I'll still be wearing jeans and sweatshirts at 60!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I get first dibs at the clothes!

    (I have bunches to send you when you're finally moved.)

    ReplyDelete