Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

"Try reading books instead of burning them!"

Indiana Jones teaches undergrads. I teach undergrads. Ergo... why isn't my life in academia more like Indiana Jones'? (This comes after reading a 300-page book of theory in a day, with another to go by tomorrow night. Plus grading. Eeesh. Can I go search for the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail now please? Or do I have to wait for tenure?)

Like Indy, this is what I do on a daily basis, and I probably look just as confused while doing it.

But this is so much sexier and more confident.

And so much more exciting!

I wanna go on daring expeditions to fulfill my academic dreams! Can't I go questing around London in search of some obscure theatre artifact, that might then lead me to Cairo or somewhere else similarly awesome where I could fight off bad guys with aplomb? It's the perfect mix of geeking out about history and having amazing adventures! Why isn't all of academia more like an Indiana Jones movie?

(Photos found here, here, here, here, and here)

6 comments:

  1. I think someone needs to point out that Indiana Jones is probably the worst teacher ever. On the second day of class he's called off to rescue some random artifact and then he's gone for months. You're much better than Indy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why isn't all of academia more like an Indiana Jones movie?"

    I ask myself this question nearly every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love this. I love the Indiana Jones movie!

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth
    http://www.organizedxxmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Indiana Jones teaches undergrads. I teach undergrads. Ergo... why isn't my life in academia more like Indiana Jones'?". Ok, that right there made me laugh so hard!! Please can you do a post in which you try and make your life like Indy's? You try and "unsexy" yourself for the classroom (probably impossible for you tho, I'm sure!), you only just make it through the door and have to perform an army roll through the door to make it. Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha seriously, though.. why isn't real life more like an IJ movie!? Not just academia! ;) -Rachel (for the birds)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I hadn't already bought your Christmas present, I would totally be ordering you the hat and whip right now. =)

    ReplyDelete