Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Creme Brulée, Kisses

Like her, I love breaking the top of a creme brulée with spoon.


Ten years ago I watched the film Amélie for the first time with my friend Sarah. We were freshmen in high school, terribly young, and I have no idea how we-- in a small town in the Midwest-- became interested in a film about a quirky Parisian, but we did. We loved it.

Last night I rewatched the film for my French class. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, and while watching it, I realized that so many things-- little things, of course-- that I think or say or do somehow relate back to this film about a dreamer.

The other day I jokingly asked Zan to kiss my eyelids; "I saw that somewhere once, and thought it was so romantic." At the end of the film, as Amélie and Nino stood silently facing each other at the door, thrilled and terrified and so incredibly in love, it suddenly came back to me that I saw it here. Creme brulée, kisses. Nains du jardin, whimsy, a world of red and green.

Dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't seen that movie in years. I first watched it in French class. I felt bad, I was the only one who laughed when the mum got killed by a suicide jumper. Everyone else was like "OH NO!!!". I am a terrible person. You make me want to watch it again.

    Also thank you for your encouragement with Millie. I used to foster cats and I guess I lucked out with having extra cuddly cats. But I woke up this morning and she was fast asleep on the end of my bed. Yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm obsessed with this movie AND audrey tautou (i've always wanted to name my future daughter amelie but i don't want to be THAT mom who named her daughter after a movie character. unless it's emmaline. that' different). have you seen a very long engagement??? it's absolutely awesomesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww such a great movie- also saw in high school. As I recall we were watching it in a group during the Final Four of March Madness or something, and a guy walked in, pauses, looks at us and says "... you guys don't like sports?" with such incredulity that we all broke into hysterics after he left.

    ReplyDelete