Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

My Resolution

Some of you may have seen this already, but the other day I decided that enough was enough. As John Cusack asks in the movie Say Anything, "Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?" Yes. Exactly. So I decided to be happy. All of the negativity I was breeding within my own mind was driving me insane, and I realized that if I wanted happiness in my life, I had to let it go. So I did. And actually, it was pretty easy. Not that I don't still have a lot of homework and bills to pay and stupid stuff to take care of-- but that's just part of life. I posted my resolve on Facebook and I've truly felt happy ever since. Here's what I wrote:

I'm turning over a new leaf. From now on, I'm gonna be happy. Happy and positive. If you see me unhappy and/or negative about school, homework, or people, you must remind me of my resolution to be happy and positive. Life's too short to spend it stressed out all the time, and I think we all just need to take a deep breath and realize that everyone is only human and if we aren't five days ahead of our reading schedule it's going to be ok. Really. I promise. Now, I'll probably forget this in a stressed out daze, so please be sure to remind me.

And you know what? I think happiness might be catching. When I'm happy and smiling not only do I feel better, but I notice people around me smiling, too. And our conversations are happier. My seminars are more fun and fulfilling, and my reading doesn't feel quite so burdensome. In fact, I feel like I have time for a life-- last night Zan and I got a pizza and cupcakes, and tonight we went to Trader Joe's! All this in just two days! What a difference!

Try it sometime. Decide to be in a good mood, then be in a good mood. It works.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very happy for you Absi! I think this is a good resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: did you buy me some pomegranate seeds from Trader Joes?? Because that's surely the only reason to go to Trader Joes, right??
    I'm so happy that things are looking up. Definitely glad because you are lovely and deserve only lovely things!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! 80s movies are full of wisdom. =) I'm so glad you're feeling better about things.

    ReplyDelete