I've noticed myself saying the words, "You win some, you lose some," multiple times in the past few days. I've used it in reference to relationships, projects, time management skills, television shows, cooking, and schoolwork. Mostly, I've been losing, and this phrase nicely sums up a "devil-may-care" attitude, if I may quote Luna Lovegood from the latest Harry Potter movie.
World Savvy completely failed. NO ONE showed up. Not a single soul. We decided to reschedule the event for a 4:00 Wednesday or a 5:00 Thursday, and Amy said she would send out an advertisement to the Chinese classes. As we stood there, myself, my supervisors Amy and Laurie, and the three panelists, realizing that we had been stood up by the entire campus, all I could do was shrug it off and say "You win some, you lose some!"
A similar thing occurred yesterday when I tried to cook Trader Joe's clam chowder. It turned out too milky and flavorless. So, you win some, you lose some.
Everytime I have to tell someone new the story of my break-up, I manage a short laugh, shake my head at the absurdity, and say "You win some, you lose some."
Yesterday I walked to the Reves Center in cold, damp weather, which I will have to do again today: You win some, you lose some.
When I realize that it's Friday and I have only written four pages of a ten page paper that I had planned to have completed by Tuesday, I think "Well, you win some, you lose some."
Finally, I the phrase came to mind this morning when I woke up before my alarm with a stuffy nose, clogged sinuses (my ears hurt when I blow my nose) and day full of paper writing, stipend work, and meetings ahead of me. You win some, you lose some.
Really though, I would like to win a little.
EDIT: Last night was sort of a win; I got four pages of my paper written and I got to go to Newport News to visit Shea. We watched "FlashForward," a new show starring Joseph Fiennes, and "The Office" while we pretended to work on papers (she might actually have). So that was nice.
I think it's your program that is causing most of the losses, not you. Seriously. It sounds crazy.
ReplyDeleteBut yay FlashForward! I saw the series premier, and it looked really cool. And Joseph Fiennes is pretty. =)