Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

My Other Addiction and Other Stories

About a month ago, perhaps more, I wrote about my addiction to Odwalla. That has not gone away. In fact, it may have gotten worse. I have an Odwalla about five days a week now, and this morning I was disheartened to find that the Marketplace is currently out of my favorite Odwallas, so I'm making due with nothing. Maybe I'll get a Vitamin Water later.

But Odwalla is not my only addiction, it's just my healthy one. I'm also addicted to Vanilla Cokes. When I was little, my mom and I were "vanilla coke buddies" and we would go to Whaley's Drug Store in Jefferson City about three times a week for the sweet drink. The people at Whaley's knew us. We only had to say "Large" or "Small" and they would make us our vanilla cokes. When we moved to Virginia, we looked everywhere for vanilla cokes and found a close approximation at MooRenko's, an ice cream store near where we lived. But recently that closed. They have vanilla pepsi at Aroma's, but it's not the same, and the vanilla syrup they use isn't very good.

But then I discovered the Wawa Soda Fountain. Wawa, saviour of hungry undergraduates, has become my vanilla coke supplier. In the back they have a soda fountain complete with different syrups so that a thirsty addict may make her own vanilla coke. And I do. Oh, I do. I have vanilla cokes when I'm feeling down, when I'm celebrating, when I'm really thirsty, when I need to stay awake to read or write a paper, or pretty much any time that I go into Wawa. Vanilla coke: drink of the gods. Better than mead.

Vanilla cokes have helped me greatly in the past week. I have had lots of reading and writing, and more to do before November 9th. The only problem is that if I have them late at night to keep me awake, they keep me awake even after the paper has been finished, or after I've decided that I've done enough reading for the evening. As a result, I lately have not gotten quite as much sleep as I might have hoped. But no matter! I have finished two book reviews, read thousands of pages (literally), and gotten a topic for my Spain class paper!

But, I want to keep my immune system well because apparently we have had 531 cases of swine flu here at the College since September 1st. I do not have time to get sick. I have a thesis prospectus to research still! Thus, the Odwalla. And it all comes full circle.
_______________

Last night I watched Halloweentown with Megan Castle and the gang! We had such a good time! Megan and her roommates made brownies, rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, and popcorn, so we ate tons of food and watched probably the best/worst Halloween movie ever made. It was a welcome study break. Tonight we are going to have Ghost Adventures get together, and then tomorrow night is Halloween!

I have too many costumes: Belle, River Tam, and Sally Bowles. Luckily, I have lots of parties to go to, so I will be able to wear at least two of the three! I love Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. "But Odwalla is not my only addiction, it's just my healthy one"

    At least you have a healthy one.

    Also- must post pictures of your costumes. Especially interested in you as River Tam. Please tell me that comes with double-wielded axes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have swine flu! (I was very worried about this yesterday.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honored to have made it into your blog! Kay and Mike, we missed you at Halloweentown---that is how I met both of you last year! MEMORIES!
    love,
    Megan

    (I've never posted on a blog before!)

    ReplyDelete