Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sweet October

I love October. Hands down this is my favorite month. I would be thrilled if it was always October. It's cool outside, but warm in the sun, and the sky seems bluer than it does in the summer. In October, hot apple cider becomes fashionable, and boots are back in style, and long-sleeved shirts can be worn. I just need to go shopping for said boots and long-sleeved shirts. And so October gives me an excuse to shop! In October, the air feels crisp and clean. Humidity evaporates, and in its place comes stiff winds that rustle fallen leaves in colors of red and gold and orange. October makes me want to go back to elementary school, when I had time to play on the playground and time to get out a coloring book, and time to jump on a trampoline. I love October. This October, though, will be spent mostly inside, I fear. I have much to do before November 9th, and the bulk of it should be completed by Halloween. Still, I'm determined to enjoy as much as I can of the cool sunny days before bleak winter.

The past few weeks have been busy. I have written a prospectus draft, completed peer reviews, written a paper for Hoffman, read more for Hoffman, read more for Homza, begun a book review for Homza, and have begun reading secondary sources for my thesis as well as locating primary sources for said thesis. My thesis adviser is now Professor Whittenburg, so all is right with the world.

In more fun news, last weekend I "English Country Danced" with some VMI cadets and it was hilarious. We had so much fun. I normally hate all dancing, including eighteenth century dance, but this was just so fantastic. I laughed until my sides hurt and made a new friend in the process. Then last night Mike came to visit me and we watched the newest episode of "How I Met Your Mother," made a lovely Trader Joe's dinner, and went to the Leafe for awhile. I hate that we only get to see each other once or twice a week, though. I know I shouldn't complain-- I've been in a far worse long-distance situation-- but it's hard to build up a relationship with someone that you don't see often. We've never had an unbroken day together, and certainly never TWO unbroken days together, which makes things difficult at times.

And finally, tomorrow I leave for Chicago!!!! I am so excited to see Emily, Dana, Charlotte, and Christina! I haven't seen Emily since my 21st, and Dana since sophomore year, and they are two of my very best friends. We have a wonderful schedule of food and wine planned, along with a touch of shopping, so I'm anticipating a wonderful holiday. Except for when I come back and have a ten-page paper and annotated bibliography to complete... but no matter!

I love October.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Fall clothes are wonderful. I just bought new suede ankle boots and I love them. Sooooo cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent about an hour looking at a website that sells apple grinders/cider pressers, even though

    1. I don't own an apple tree.

    and

    2. I don't have a backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Yay JPWhit, all *is* right with the world
    2) Fall clothes are the best!
    3) WOOO Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abigail, you and me and Mike should buy adjacent property in the future

    1) so we can see each other all the time

    and

    2) so we can turn our backyards into an apple orchard. And then Mike can buy his cider press.

    ReplyDelete