Christmastime is definitely here. I have bought gifts for my parents and Dana, know what I'm getting Kay, and know what I'm making for Mike J., Emily, and Kacey. I still have some people on my list, though, that I'm struggling with figuring out what to get them. And I need to send a few Christmas cards. Despite the stress of Christmas-gift finding/making, though, I'm so excited to get in and wrap the presents I've bought and set them down under the Christmas tree!!! I really, truly am someone who likes the giving aspect of this holiday more than the getting aspect. If I had all the money in the world I would lavish thousands of presents upon my friends. It makes me happy to make other people happy. If I had all the time in the world I would make them thousands of presents-- as it is, this year has to be a mix of crafted and store-bought. I haven't made a single clay object for my parents yet-- so strange-- or even done any cross-stitching!
But Christmastime is here, regardless. I watched Love Actually with my mom the other night. I set up the Nativity Scene, something I do every year. It's my favorite part of Christmas decorating. I attended Cat's cookie decorating party yesterday (which was quite intense; she gave us a bit of dough to roll out, we cookie cut it, she baked it, and only then did we decorate). I have started in on my "Christmas" reads, such as the winter/Christmas chapters from Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie, Merry Christmas Strega Nona, The Polar Express, Santa Calls, A Victorian Christmas Tea, Lone Star, and this book my mom had in the '60s full of Christmas stories for children. I love that one. And as soon as I go back home (I'm in the 'burg again, this time for Annie's wedding) it will be time for Charlie Brown Christmas, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, and most importantly, the Christmas Eve viewing of A Muppet Christmas Carol.
Did anyone else read The Polar Express as a child? One line that always stuck with me was the one about drinking hot chocolate as rich as a melted chocolate bar. I've searched for that hot chocolate everywhere. I found close approximations at a cafe in Paris, and at the coffee chain Cafe Nero in England, and the Williams-Sonoma Hot Chocolate I got is close. But mmm, I want to try the hot chocolate on the Polar Express. If only... :)
I miss being a little kid and having the whole month of build-up to Christmas. It feels as though it has come upon me so suddenly the past few years. Finals end and then BAM Christmas. I think I've forgotten how to really savor the holidays. *Sigh*
Anyways, this weekend should be nice! I have a facial this afternoon, followed by Annie's wedding rehearsal (I'm an usherette), and then Mike J. and Kay and Brian should get here either late tonight or early tomorrow and we will go to the wedding! Plus, I'm planning on starting in on making clay gifts, which will make me feel all happy and Christmas-y!
EDIT at 7:17 PM: It's snowing!!!!!
I'll be there early tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteAs for the hot chocolate- this may be completely off-point, but why don't you just... melt a chocolate bar, if you really want to experience that? Better yet- I'm gonna bring some chocolate tomorrow. We're gonna melt it and see how that goes.
Remember when you gave me a bell for Christmas? And how I can never read the end of Polar Express without crying. . . .
ReplyDeletego to the blue talon for hot chocolate.. it's amazing
ReplyDeletecaribou coffee has some pretty rich hot chocolate, they're melting guttard into everything that requires chocolate, basically. if you get the kids' cocoa you get oreo crumbles as well.
ReplyDelete