Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Dress Rehearsal

It was raining, of course, when we landed in Seattle. Already I've sent in my deposit and confirmed my intention to attend in the fall; already I've tied myself to four, five, or six years in this city and before Monday I had never seen it before. Never been in the state of Washington, or even the Pacific Northwest. I'd read a travel book, and looked at maps, and made sure they had Trader Joe's, but never really seen it. I'm not sure what I was expecting-- a city like New York? Wide boulevards like D.C.? Something with quirky streets like London or new high rise apartment buildings everywhere? I'm not sure. What it was was unlike anything I was expecting. We didn't make it downtown-- to the Space Needle and all that-- but rather stayed up in the U District, Wallingford, Green Lake, and Ravenna areas. We certainly didn't play the tourist.

Monday afternoon I was jetlagged and the U District is rather slummy and the only good part of it all was going to a pub called Finn MacCool's and getting a Strongbow. No apartments looked nice and the area felt a touch unsafe, like you wouldn't want to go out alone at night. Tuesday was slightly better, at first. The sun actually came out, and my mom and I walked around campus and it has such pretty buildings and cherry blossoms and we had lunch at an amazing Thai place (I'm quickly become a Thai tea devotee). Then I met the head of my program, Odai. He was nothing like I expected, but incredibly nice. We got coffee and talked about the program, and then he drove me around Seattle to the different neighborhoods and I fell in love with the Green Lake area. But, oddly, for there's no reason I should have felt so, I came away from the day somewhat discouraged-- I felt too young, too inexperienced, and suddenly so unsure of whether or not I was making the right choice to attend this program now.

Wednesday started with the discouraged feeling. My mom and I walked up to the Green Lake and Ravenna area and found some cute looking apartments and houses for rent, and the sun came out. Then at noon I got an e-mail from Odai saying that I could attend at class at 12:30. Feeling rushed, I grabbed my things and tried to find the right building, but got caught in a gaggle of undergrads and all of that discouraged horribleness welled up again and I thought I might cry so I called my friend Mike J. and he said, "Absi, think of this as a dress rehearsal. If everything was going perfectly, opening night would suck." Later, I thought on that-- if everything HAD gone perfectly the first day and a half, if I had loved every second, could actually living there and being in the program compare? Maybe those feelings of self-doubt were just what I needed to keep me from being overly confident before some kind of awful crash and burn when I actually move to the city.

But the class was a turning point. Once I found the building and got to the lecture hall, Odai introduced me to several of the other PhD students, and they were all nicer than I could have ever imagined. The 101 lecture that I will be TAing was interesting, and I was happily surprised to find that I already knew most of the contents. Yes, I can teach these kids about the architectural features of a Greek theater and the story of Oedipus. YES. And how fun! After the lecture came a grad seminar with the current grads, which was interesting, too, and then we all headed out to a wine bar for a glass and some small plates.

That was easily the best part of the whole experience. The three girls who I spent most of the day with were amazing and supportive, funny and interesting, and interested in the same types of things I am-- of course, theater-- but also Star Trek (clearly Zan and I can be happy here), Firefly, England, theory, finding things to get excited about writing. I really could not have even hoped for that level of friendship or support in a grad program-- my masters program, other than a few choice people (our 'cruise director'), felt rather isolating. Here are friends, colleagues, and supports. And, funnily enough, one of the fourth year grads that I met graduated from the same high school as me! He even dated my high school voice teacher's daughter! Crazy!

So, a rocky start to Seattle perhaps, but ultimately I'm so excited to start this program, get into the readings, and to get to know these people better and better. I can't wait to return here to live.

3 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwww it sounds like you're going to be really really happy =) so awesome that you got to meet some of the peeps in the program early! =)

    have a fabulous weekend!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited things turned around a bit at the end there, because I was feeling a bit apprehensive for you, although I would be writing a post now to convince you that you were making the right choice. Its practically a tailor-made Abigail degree! I am also envious that you'll be in the place I write about the most, other than Hawaii. Can we say research trip?!? As soon as I visit Amanda Scott, that is. I haven't successfully made it to St. Louis and its only 5 hours away.

    Oh, and PS, I felt very much like you did about our program, hence the over-the-top forced socialization. :-) I'm kind of relieved to know it wasn't only me. I miss you lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect analogy! And you're definitely going to love it there. And I'm going to come visit you and love it there with you!

    ReplyDelete