Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

all our wishes will come true

Just back from a lovely two and a half day break in Disney World... too long, on the one hand, since I have so much to do before May 15th, and too short on the other. The trip itself was great: my mom and I stayed at the Beach Club, spent the first half day eating and drinking around Epcot, and were in bed by 9 that night. Considering that I slept for nearly 12 hours, I guess I needed it. The next day we went to Epcot again in the morning and spent a few minutes at the Magic Kingdom, before feasting for three and a half hours at the Contemporary Resort's The Wave and California Grill. We really took our time with drinks, appetizers, ordering only when we were ready for the food instead of long before. The best and most relaxing meal I've had in ages. Finally, the third day, we went to Hollywood Studios, followed by a stint at Epcot, then watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the observation deck at the Contemporary.

The fireworks show, called Wishes, really is spectacular. I have no words to describe how it makes me feel like anything really can be possible, like maybe there is some magic in the world. Near the end of the show, the Blue Fairy says, "Let us all put our hearts together and make a wish come true." It's silly, but it seems like at that moment, with a million people crowded around you watching the fireworks, all putting their hearts together, that something good might come of it. That all those wishes might come true with everyone concentrating so hard.

(Sunset and Cinderella's Castle)

Anyways, I'm home now and, after the afternoon History Department Picnic I attended today, and seeing the film L'Illusionniste tonight with some friends, tomorrow I begin in earnest on my dramaturgical packet and sorting through Swem Special Collections online. The next two weeks are going to be jam-packed and it doesn't slow down until August.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I think of Wishes, I think of Mike tearing up at the end and then manfully trying to deny it.
    The Blue Fairy can touch even the most stoic of hearts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you went for stoic instead of wimpy.

    It was just... so... magical...

    ReplyDelete