Going along with the alliterative "S" from the title of my last post, the weekend wrapped up as a smashing success. I have to admit to you all, I wasn't looking forward to Improvathon very much. (Quick aside: Improvathon is a 12-hour marathon of improvisational theater put on by my undergrad improv troupe with all proceeds going to benefit Avalon Women's Shelter; during the show we sell raffle tickets, water balloons, etc. Each year there is an 'Alumni Hour', during which the current I.T. members eat dinner and watch the alums improvise.) Last year only three alums showed up, myself included, we played outside in the cold April evening air, and we were soaked through with super soakers and water balloons-- which left huge bruises on my legs from the force with which they were thrown. Plus, I wore a white shirt. Just about as bad as it could get.
This Saturday, I went for the first hour or so, cheered on the current I.T. members, then went home for lunch. I tried weaseling out of Alumni Hour, but was guilted into abandoning that idea. So instead, I headed to New Town to meet up with three of my I.T. alum friends, Andrew, Stephen, and Maggie, for some frozen yogurt, then headed to Stack's (another alum) where Mike (yet ANOTHER alum) joined us to set the show. But instead of setting real games, we decided to make up every single game in the 45 minutes we had before we headed over to Improvathon. Then it started thunderstorming, which necessitating moving Improvathon inside, which meant no water balloons!!! Excellent!
I don't remember the last time I had so much fun at an I.T. show. We played "Forest Fire," "Under the Blanket," "Only One Can Live," "P90 Extreme Workout," "Holidays," "Calendar," "Grand Jury," "Close Your Eyes," "Lodge 1 Emergency," and a few others-- all made up 45 minutes before the show. In some cases, even we weren't quite aware of the rules. I haven't laughed so hard or been so energized in ages. After the show, Stephen, Andrew, Maggie, Mike and his wife Raissa, and I all went to the Leafe for dinner and drinks, then back to the last hour or so of Improvathon in the highest of spirits.
And the fun didn't stop! Sunday my friend Johnny came to visit for lunch/general hanging out. The storm had passed leaving behind perfect weather with sunshine and blue skies, so after getting Mexican food, we went for a walk in Colonial Williamsburg and got milkshakes at Retro's. After he headed back to Richmond, I headed over to my friend Lindsey's birthday party. She lives in the historic area, and I always feel so special breezing by tourists to head down the path behind a gate to her back yard. She had tons of Easter goodies and lots of my friends were there and it was so good to see everyone, since lately I so rarely do.
After such a fantastic few days full of friends, I just felt so in love with life and Virginia.
Abs, I love this, especially the use of the word alliterative! But even more importantly, I'm starting to think Ty and I should take a trip down to Williamsburg just to experience one of your shows and to see you...it's been too long. Definitely let me know when your next one is!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I really like that you like the oxford comma. Why people don't use it is beyond me.