Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

All Shook Up (Uh uh huh!)

Two nights ago, quite unexpectedly, the King captured my heart. Now, of course, I know about Elvis Presley, his iconic image, his catchphrases ("thank you, thank you very much"), and have even heard a few songs, but I wasn't quite sure what it was all about. Then, a couple of days ago, XM radio switched up all of their stations. Befuddled and trying to find my beloved BBC Radio 1, I stumbled upon Elvis Presley Radio. I paused the figurative dial for a moment... there was something catchy about the song. It soon ended, and "Loving You" came on.

(Elvis Presley at the studio; found here)

Now, I don't know what recording of the song this was, but there was something smooth and sweet and velvety and true in that voice and suddenly I knew why everyone loved the King. I knew why girls sighed over him and why all of his records sold record amounts. So for the past two days, I've kept tuned into the station (with side trips over to BBC Radio 1, of course) and I'm finding that I like Elvis more and more. Pretty soon I might consider myself a full blown fan. Maybe a trip to Graceland is in order. I've always wanted to visit Memphis...

As a side note, Elvis Presley always makes me think of The Bubble Room on Captiva Island, with it's zany jukebox Christmas feel and old Hollywood memorabilia (if you click the link, be sure your sound is on or you miss the best part!). On the wall of one booth, there's a picture of Elvis signing autographs. Now, listening to his music makes me long for unending summer and island living... and some bubble bread and cinnamon buns.

2 comments:

  1. Memphis wants you to visit it! We could go to Graceland. And Sun Studio. In August there are all sorts of Elvis Impersonators making the pilgrimage here, its completely wild. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something amazing about his voice, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete