Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The 4th Annual Halloweentown Party

Last night I held my 4th Annual Halloweentown Party!!!

Halloweentown is a (fairly terrible) Disney Channel Original movie from 1998 starring Debbie Reynolds and Kimberly J. Brown. I loved it as a child, and so my senior year of undergrad when my friend Megan suggested TiVOing it and watching it for Halloween, I couldn't have been more excited. Turns out, it's not a good movie. Yet, therein lay the fun. The acting is bad, the writing is bad, clearly they had a limited budget so the costumes and special effects are bad. There's really no good element to this movie, yet somehow all of that wrong makes a right. So, for the next two years following the initial Halloweentown party, Megan and I managed to find a time to gather everyone together to watch this crazy thing. Now we live a country apart, but the tradition continues.

Last night I gathered a handful of PhD students who had never heard of, much less seen, the glory that is Halloweentown. I popped popcorn and made warm apple cider with cinnamon. Michelle brought cupcakes, Kris and Chris brought wine and cheese, and Jyana and Earl brought some Autumn Harvest beer, and we were set! They loved/hated it, and I think everyone had a pretty good time. Something about this movie never ceases to bring people together in joy and laughter. So thank you, Halloweentown.


(Screenshot from the film found here)

3 comments:

  1. Halloweentown parties are so fun! I really should get a copy over here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, bad movie you say?? Excellent! I'll have to see if I can track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there for the first one! I was there!

    ReplyDelete