Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Two Weeks Down!

Made it through the first week: check.
Made it through the second week: check.

Well, the second week of MY classes anyway. I have to go to the 101 lecture tomorrow, but that's it, and it's very laid-back (for me, as a TA), and only 50 minutes, then I get to go out lunch. So yes. I count having made it through Thursday as a win.

I'm so tired, though, at the end of every day. Even before I start doing my reading. I've been waking up early (7:00, or 7:30), making tea, checking e-mails and blogs, then preparing for the day. Sometimes this is getting some reading done, or printing off class lists and handouts for my sections. I catch a bus sometime in the 10:00 hour (or earlier), get to campus, and continue with preparations/readings. Then, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I either teach section for two hours, or I have a TA meeting then a 101 lecture. Then an hour lunch break and/or office hours (they are one and the same), then seminar from 2:30-5:00. Then walking to the bus stop, waiting for a bus, and-- hopefully-- being home no later than 5:30. Sometimes, if I miss a bus, this is a bit later. Then making dinner and watching an episode of something on Netflix, and by that point I'm ready to pass out in an exhausted heap. But I don't. Usually. I read. And read. And it really seems as if there will be no end to the readings. But, if I do lots of reading on the weekends, I don't have as much to read during the week, so bedtime can be as early as 10:30 or 11:00!!! Unless, of course, my mind is working too much to let me relax ("should you really be in bed? shouldn't you have read another chapter in your book? is your list of evidence long enough? are you prepared for teaching? do you really think you'll have time in the morning to prepare?"). So far, though, I've been pretty exhausted and pass out shortly after hitting the pillow. ("Go away distracting thoughts! Zzzzzzzzzz....")

The weather changed here. I've seen the sun once this week, and that was just for a few minutes this afternoon before it got cloudy again. It hasn't been too rainy, though, just... grey. Very very grey. And chilly. I kind of like the chilly. It's cozy for curling up with my reading. And my tea. :) The only thing? I have realized that I have a lack of sweaters. Because Seattle equals hoodie weather everyday. But hoodies aren't exactly professional looking when you're teaching a class, so warm cozy sweaters make the better option. Time to buy sweaters.

Bear this in mind, folks, if ever you come to Seattle.

(Addendum: for those of you wondering what it says around the sides of the cabinet that I painted, it reads "Seek wisdom. Go out for adventure, come home for love. Know love. Cherish Family. Treasure Friends. Dream. Follow Your Heart. Set Goals. Be Yourself. Inspire Others. Try something new. Grow A Garden. Sing and Dance. Live with Passion. Believe. Share." On the sides [not pictured] it says, "Stargaze. Wonder. Laugh. Love by the Moon. Plan a Party. Make the Time Sweet. Enjoy the Changing Seasons. Live Life to the Fullest. Be Here Now. Learn. Take a Nap. Relax," and "Watch Sunsets. Explore. See the World. Seize the Day. Go for a Walk. Live by the Sun. The Secret of Life is Enjoying the Passage of Time. Celebrate. Grow. Reflect. Listen. Tell Your Story." Again, I am indebted to Sticks for her inspiring words.)

5 comments:

  1. You have to read? That's a weird grad school you go to, Absi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for updating me on the Cabinet Wording :) One mystery solved!

    I always have that same hoodie debate with myself. They're not professional but they're really the only thing that's warm- and sometimes, they're the only thing being sold! Oh and yay for tea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound so busy... Would you even have time for visitors?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very busy girl you are... it seems. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that George Lucas in Love video was great!! Very clever. Thanks for telling me about it. Oh well, back to assignments...

    ReplyDelete