Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Taking a moment to breathe

All of the fun and socializing of last weekend went completely by the wayside this weekend. I have left my apartment twice in the past two days. Once was yesterday for a 20 minute walk when the sun came out, and the other was today for about 30 minutes to get a pumpkin spice latte. I drank it sitting by the lake as the sun set. It was lovely. Best, most necessary 30 minutes of the weekend. What have I been doing? Reading, difficult/dense theory reading. And writing. I have my first paper as a PhD student due on Tuesday, so I read all day yesterday and wrote all day today.

But anyway! Let's not get all bogged down in schoolwork on this blog! There IS more to life after all! I have taken some pictures! With my new point-and-shoot camera! I like it quite well, though I do miss my DSLR. Here are some pictures!

Organizing efforts! Ok, so this is tangentially related to schoolwork. I normally keep my school things in plastic drawers, but these classes are kind of different, so I'm going to use the drawers I bought as clothes holders in my closet, and I put my school stuff in the red, two green, and tan bins. Then in the baskets I have my correspondence and letter writing materials, and electronics! Perfect! I also bought two new bookcases because one bookcase simply will not cut it. I have too many books for that (and I love it that way)!

This is a print that I bought for the bedroom from here. I think it's pretty adorable. Soon I'm actually going to take it off of the dresser and hang it on the wall! (I will, I will!)

I also got myself a new pair of boots for fall. I found them on Amazon.com for pretty cheap (as far as boots go). They are absolutely perfect. I almost want to order another pair just like them. I call them my Katniss boots, after the protagonist of The Hunger Games trilogy. I could totally see her wearing these boots when she's out hunting with Gale.

My Halloween Mickey mug has taken a place of honor on my entry table to greet guests with his seasonally appropriate jack-o-lantern smile!

I also bought two of these adorable fall candle-holder/lanterns at Target for 2.50 each. I absolutely love fall, and even though decorating an apartment inhabited and seen only by me seems a bit pointless, I couldn't resist a few small touches.

I also found a bit of time to watch Practical Magic this weekend (over the course of two days, in small sections at a time). Witches and autumn in New England and Halloween! But the best part? I found out that the beautiful New England set that I was absolutely pining for actually exists in WASHINGTON STATE! All that beauty isn't in New England-- it's right close by me! San Juan Islands, WA, here I come!

Isn't it gorgeous??? (Photo found here)

I'm hoping next weekend to get out and enjoy some autumn fun at a pumpkin patch! I am in desperate need of of a haybale maze and some hot apple cider.

4 comments:

  1. We'll have to go on an expedition and you wear your Hunger Games boots and I'll wear my Game of Thrones boots. It'll be epic!!

    Oh wow, Practical Magic, haven't seen that in ages. I think when I watched it when it first came out I had inappropriate feelings for the cat. He was just so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the Mickey mug made it in one piece because I knew you would love to have it for a Halloween touch for your apartment. The bookcase and organizers look great. And I can't wait to see the San Juan Islands when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to do Halloween as Katniss, right? You'd better. Love all the decorative touches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Mickey! Classic. =)

    And don't worry about pictures not hung on walls yet; I kind of gave up on all of ours and just made a gallery out of our mantel. Sheer laziness, but it doesn't look that bad!

    ReplyDelete