Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Escape

I got an e-mail from a well-known (and far too expensive for me, but I like to look) jewelry company yesterday with the subject line, "Escape to Venice." What an alluring title, especially this week, this long, long, never-ending week. Sometimes everything feels too, I guess, real. Laundry, bills to pay, finding a bank. Planning classes for my students. In addition to all I've been assigned, I have to work on another presentation (so more independent research) and also have six auxiliary books that I must read. And I need to write my Shakespeare lecture, which I'm giving on Monday. I never knew how long a shower took, or how much time preparing dinner steals, until just now.

So, wouldn't it be nice to escape? Venice, Paris, London? A night at a cafe with a whiskey sour, or a nice ale in a pub, and some literary talk? Some warm Caribbean island with a beautiful beach, some mind candy book, and a margarita? Or even a hot apple cider and a walk down Duke of Gloucester street? Ahhh, if only. Escape.

4 comments:

  1. One day I'm hopping on a bus to somewhere I don't know just to have an adventure. You're welcome to join. I understand your impulse very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Escaping sounds positively perfect right about now. I'm trying to focus on the idea that "this too shall pass"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm café and literary talk sounds dreamy right about now.
    Especially with you. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I never knew how long a shower took, or how much time preparing dinner steals, until just now."

    Have there ever been truer words? Wes and I slide into this rut of takeout when things get like this. We slough off our running, I stop doing my hair and rely on hairties exclusively to make myself presentable, my clothes are slightly less professional, slightly more wrinkly (but wrinkly = academic in our field, so no biggie.) Its as though suddenly all of our basic needs (eating, exercising, bathing) just take too much time! But it is kind of exhilarating, once you survive it. :-)

    ReplyDelete