Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Little Bit Fancy

Food is fun.  Especially when you have amazing friends who make amazing food which in turn inspires you to make amazing food.  The only problem is, I don't have a lot of time to make amazing food and I feel bad asking Zan to take a lot of time to make amazing food while I do reading.  So instead, we settle for little bits of fancy.  For example, last week we whipped up this great creamy-cheesy chicken recipe, but we added sauteed mushrooms and onions to the cream of chicken soup called for in the recipe.  Super easy addition to a super easy recipe, but it made it so much more fun and flavorful.  Zan has also gotten really good at making a tortellini carbonara with edamame and bacon.  Pair these with a glass of wine or some French hard cider, and it's a fancy meal!

But I think our favorite new, easy, fancy food is the artichoke.  Most people have had artichoke hearts on pizza or something, but artichokes themselves are so much more fun.  My friend Sarah made them for us last time we had dinner at her house, and now we are addicted.  You simply steam the artichoke for about 40 minutes, melt some butter, then pull off the leaves of the artichoke one by one, dip in the warm butter, scrap off the white edible part of the leaf with your teeth, and enjoy the amazing flavor of warm butter and artichoke.  They make a great little tapas style dish, appetizer, or side vegetable that feels so fancy and European. 



(Photo of artichokes found here)

3 comments:

  1. Honey, your Grandmother Fine made steamed artichoke with warm butter, and sometimes holliandaise sauce when I was a kid. Mmmmm. And you are just discovering this?
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steamed artichoke is one of my favorite things. I almost never see it though. This is a great idea, I need to start doing this. Maybe this summer. Seems like something David Husband would be up for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know? I don't think I've ever had artichokes before. I tend to stay away from vegetables if at all possible. I am the least healthiest eater in the world! Not that artichokes and butter sounds particularly healthy!

    Also, hook me up with that creamy cheesey chicken recipe. It's like three of my favourite flavours in one delightful meal!

    ReplyDelete