May 1st. Typically a great day, the start to a great month. School ends, the sun is shining warm and bright, interspersed with some thunderstorms, and sweet tea abounds. Sadly, not here in Seattle. Here in Seattle it's still gray and chilly, and instead of finishing up the semester, I have another month and a half of school left and first year exams to look forward to over Memorial Day Weekend. Yay.
Yesterday I gave my Shakespeare lecture, which went pretty well, and today I taught Twelfth Night. My first section was observed by the head lecturer, and it's the first time my teaching has been observed (by anyone but my students). It was nerve-wracking and I don't think I did that well. My second unobserved section went amazingly well, though. Of course. I guess even though no one observed my second section, it was very rewarding to see my students actually learn something. I could actually see it happen today! I could see them being awed over by Shakespeare!!!
I also forgot to tell my first section students the very fun fact (that I remembered to tell my second section students) that the phrase "Mighty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is a line of perfect trochaic pentameter. Rats. Teaching metrical form is my favorite thing, too. Ah, well.
Sometimes I get this feeling that everything is going to be wonderful, but then I think about how dismal my observed teaching was, and how much reading I have to do, and how really, really stupid most of our politicians are (really, Ron Paul, trying to claim that the Byzantine Empire was a good economic model? Do you know Byzantine means deceitful?), and then that feeling that everything is going to be wonderful is just quashed. Ok, ok-- time to start looking at the glass half-full.
Personal goal for May: be happy/optimistic at least 93% of the time. I might give myself leave to slip a bit during first year exams :).
Buck up girl!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the worst when you're not being watched and you do brilliantly?! I love Twelfth Night, it's my fave Shakespeare play, it's so great!! Although you are probably over it, if you've had to teach it, you must have gone over it again and again.
ReplyDeleteI still need to write to you about Cabin in the Woods! So much fun! I can't wait til it properly comes out over here, I'm going to make everyone come along and see it!
I'm sure you did wonderfully, dear!
ReplyDeleteAnd lol, sneaky Byzantines just makes me think of Professor Daileader.
I love the odd specificity of 93%. I like it. Odd numbers please me.
ReplyDeleteNow I have to go do some reading on the Byzantine Empire.
My sister teaches freshman English (I don't think they do Twelfth Night but they do Romeo and Juliet) and she had me come in and give a presentation on the history of the theater wearing a Juliet inspired costume that I made years ago for my costume class. Let's just say that it was interesting...
ReplyDeleteAmy
fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com
That's how observation works. =/ But I'm sure you're much harder on yourself than anyone else, and that in reality you did a fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteAnd May has started off cold here too. Cold and humid, which is just gross. Kay does not approve.