Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Charting a Course

Well, I have survived the first week. Not that that's surprising; the first week is always pretty easy. But, I have done it! The real challenge will be the second week.

Let's see, where to start? Wednesday I had my theory seminar, and while it seems incredibly interesting and I can't wait to get into it, it's intimidating, too, because I do less theory than I do history. Also, the subject we're studying is relatively unwritten about, so things feel very malleable, which is both exciting and terrifying. I have some ideas for the class, but I'm not sure if I'm "right" (as right as you can get, in theory classes). So, we'll see. I'm definitely looking forward to delving in more next week.

Thursday I had my historiography seminar, and while it seems in a sense more difficult, I also feel more comfortable there. It's like I have a map for this course, so even if I'm not entirely sure what the area looks like, I have some guide. Of course, I'm not the best map-reader, so I'll probably get lost and frustrated a lot, but that's to be expected. Still, we're covering some ground that I've been through before-- micro-histories, cultural history-- and reading some books that I'm really familiar with (two that I've used in a previous historiography class and one that I used for my thesis). That said, there's a LOT of new material that I'm going to have to master, including an entirely new 'theatre' historiography that I've never seen before, not to mention the whole historiography of a chosen period. It's going to be difficult. I can already tell. But, I feel a bit more like I know my way around. For theory, I'm wandering mapless into new terrain.

Teaching was pretty good, too. Not a lot of info for them in the first week, just introductions and such, and I'm pretty sure they all think I'm eccentric (maybe I am!). Still, I think it will be a good quarter. I can't wait to try to impart to them how incredibly exciting and provocative I find the theatre and its history. Yeah... maybe I am eccentric. I prefer 'passionate.'

In other news, I got a new camera, but not a DSLR. :( They quit making my old Canon Rebel style, so I got a huge gift certificate to Best Buy in the amount of the original camera. I decided that since I had this 'free money' (though not really) I would buy a cheaper camera and use the certificate for a nice TV stand. So yay! I finally will be able to move the TV off the box it came in! And I'll finally have new non-iPhone pictures for you all!

I also got to get falafel last night with my neighbors (so fun!) and Thai food today with Kris. Food and friends make me happy. Did I mention that on Monday night I had some amazing homemade beef bourguignon with sharp cheddar and apples with my friend Sarah? And we started watching Game of Thrones. So good! I really love everyone here in Seattle; the people in my program are so supportive and wonderful, my neighbors are incredibly nice.

Well, off for some dinner and a lot of reading! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have good neighbors. That's practically the most important thing. Classes going well is secondary, but it's nice that that works too.

    Looking forward to pictures taken with new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theory is... always weird, I think, in every discipline. But you'll be absolutely fine! (You'll be Doctor Fine.)

    And why do you always describe such delicious sounding food? I just finished breakfast, and now I am hungry again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, one week down... ???? to go! Ooh your classes sound fun and scary all at the same time! Good luck. Hope you had a fun weekend and enjoyed time off from classes!!

    ReplyDelete