Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gettin' Oriented

I'm done with Orientation! Hooray! I can sleep in tomorrow and make French toast in the morning! I can spend the evening reading and/or-- more likely-- watching The X-Files, which I have recently found on Netflix instant streaming (sidenote: this is a problem for productivity!).

So orientation: it started on Monday afternoon, with a School of Drama orientation. All of the grad students, new and old, PhD and MFA, and the faculty and staff, gathered at the Penthouse theatre to meet one another. The Penthouse is theatre in the round, the first arena theatre built in the United States, so we basically went in a circle introducing ourselves. After the theatre meeting we had a picnic to meet the advisory board. Oh, and also the Union came in to talk to us about our rights as student employees. Yes, I'm in a Union now. I feel like Waiting for Lefty or something. I need a newsboy cap and a Bronx accent. Clearly, my mental image of Unions is somewhat archaic.

The next two days were CIDR orientations; CIDR is our TA resource, and each year they have a school-wide conference to teach new TAs the ropes. We had two big sessions with panelists to answer questions, then I went to two small sessions: one was how to set up my class website, the other was how to use activities to engage students in class. They were about like how you'd expect. I got some good information, but they weren't the most exciting things in the entire world. And I had to get up early for them.

Today was the drama orientation! I learned about the tech stuff available to me through the School of Drama, about the drama library, and about fiscal services (yay taxes...). Then I took a tour through the different performing spaces (we have so many spread around campus!). Then Kris, Lezlie, and I went for some coffee to discuss the Textual Studies program and the wisdom of taking Vitamin D supplements in this cloudy environment, followed by the TA meeting with the lecturer of Drama 101. I'm really excited to TA. I also get to give a lecture to the full group of 192 students! On Shakespeare!

Finally, we had a meeting with the head of our PhD program, who explained a bit more about the teaching and the courses. And now I'm done! On Tuesday I have one more thing to meet the rest of the PhD faculty, but a whole free weekend! I plan to read more Brockett (History of Theatre) and some stuff for fun... by which I mean a book that examines history using an anthropological approach. It's called The Great Cat Massacre by Robert Darnton. It's so good. I've read part of it before, but I want to read it again and in full. It has it's methodological... issues... but still. What book doesn't have it's methodological issues? Amazing book. Incredibly readable and fun.

...I'm such a history nerd.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, a union! Watch out for scabs, and don't count on Crutchy. He'll only let you down.

    And oh man, I'm so excited for you as a history nerd, plus giving a lecture to 192 students on Shakespeare? Awesome! Sounds like early morning fiscal-related meetings aside, you're fitting right into the program. Sounds great, Abigail!

    (Also, one day I may need to find that Darnton book. Hmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will they tape the lecture? I want to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely take Vitamin D. Also have lots of lamps in your apartment.

    Also, I love that it's called the Penthouse Theatre. It sounds both snooty and naughty at the same time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I thought I'd responded to this already. Obviously only in my head... but maybe you got that comment?? Giving lectures to a billion students makes me incredibly nervous just reading that! Also yay for history nerds, I'm more an ancient history nerd. That Danton book sounds interesting though- and cool title!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the sweet comment! :)
    you have now made me want to watch The X-Files!

    ReplyDelete