Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Snow Day

They decided late last night, whoever decides these things, that there would be no school today. I rejoiced, turned off my seven a.m alarm, and slept until eight fifteen. I woke to a swirling world of white, soft and silent. I opened the door to peek out and could hear the non-sound of snow and little flakes fell on my hands and nose.

The day began. I turned in my French assignment via an online dropbox. I made my morning tea and read some of The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden-- part of my New Years resolution to read more for fun. I finished my bibliography for Baroque class, though such a project never really ends and I keep finding myself on WorldCat looking up 'perfumed eggs' and 'John Harington' and 'royal feasts.' I made hot chocolate with cinnamon and cayenne pepper and listened to Mozart Radio on Pandora. I read about Baroque and Romantic theatres in Eastern Europe. Now, perhaps I'll work on some assignments for next week, or study seventeenth-century French theatre, or maybe take some time out for yoga...!

The snow has stopped falling now, but the world still has the calm feel that snow brings. Earlier people walked by with sleds, in twos mostly; now the streetlamps have come on, and across the street the chimney of a cozily lit house sends tendrils of smoke into the cold air. Tomorrow we'll probably be back to school and the crazy pace of the quarter, but today was a respite from the never-ending schedules and student e-mails. Today was a snow day.

2 comments:

  1. Jealous of both your snow and your time off. But it sounds like a lovely, slow-paced day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope you're enjoying that book because I think it's AMAZING. <3 Valente's writing so much. Is it giving you weird dreams? It did me. Her style and imagery get into my head in such a massive way.

    ReplyDelete