Well, the last day of 2011. What a year it has been-- new friends, new adventures, a cross-country move. It's been a year of good things, a year of sad things, and a year of growth and learning. But here I am again, just as last year, in Staunton with Zan, looking forward to champagne, Auld Lang Syne, and a midnight kiss. We exchanged Christmas presents earlier today, and I now own a Hark a Vagrant shirt that reads "History is Very Serious," and Zan and I gave each other panda hats.
Also, here we go! My reading list from the past year. These are only books that I completed from cover to cover. There were many other things read though-- chapters, essays, articles, almost-but-not-quite-all of several books, lots of eighteenth-century court documents and orderbooks-- I mean, come on, I'm in grad school. I basically read for a living. So, while the list is just at 60 titles, I assure you I've read and read and read.
Franny and Zooey, J.D. Salinger; Cleopatra: A Life, Stacy Schiff; The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson; Camera Lucida, Roland Barthes; The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Stieg Larsson; Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, John Berendt; The English Patient, Michael Ondaatje;Arcadia, Tom Stoppard; Catherine, Called Birdy, Karen Cushman, Good Omens, Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett, 'Tis Pity She's a Whore, John Ford, ed. Martin Wiggins; The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins; Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronté; In the Next Room (or The Vibrator Play), Sarah Ruhl; The Real Thing, Tom Stoppard; Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins; Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins; The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare; The Lady and the Unicorn, Tracy Chevalier; Heaven to Betsy, Maud Hart Lovelace; Mother Bombie, John Lyly; Inkheart, Cornelia Funke; Betsy's Wedding, Maud Hart Lovelace; The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, Catherynne M. Valente; The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho;Mucedorus, Anonymous (sometimes att. to Shakespeare); Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen; Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert; Ain't She Sweet?, Susan Elizabeth Phillips; Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin; Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery, Elizabeth McDavid Jones; The Giver, Lois Lowry; Trifles, Susan Glaspell; A Number, Caryl Churchill; Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery, Elizabeth McDavid Jones; Shadow Spinner, Susan Fletcher; La Celestina, Fernando de Rojos; Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery, Elizabeth McDavid Jones; La Mirtilla, Isabella Andreini; Oedipus Rex, Sophocles (trans. Robert Fagles); The Knight of Olmedo, Lope de Vega; The School for Husbands, Molière; Secret History, Procopius (trans. Richard Atwood);Hamlet, William Shakespeare; The Lavish Lovers, Molière; A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Charlotte Charke, Charlotte Charke; Tartuffe, Molière; The Widow Ranter, Aphra Behn; Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett; Isadora: My Life, Isadora Duncan; Fences, August Wilson; Purge, Sofi Oksansen; The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, Jane Wagner; Interpreting the Theatrical Past: Essays in the Historiography of Performance, eds. Tom Postlewait and Bruce A. McConachie; Pyretown, John Belluso;The Illusion, Tony Kushner; Felicity's Surprise, Valerie Tripp; Garrick's Folly, J.M Stochholm; The Theatre of Illusion, Pierre Corneille; The Matchmaker of Perigord, Julia Stuart
Happy New Year, everyone!
Happy New Year to you and your fella! It sounds like you've had quite the year, I'm glad through the grapevine aka Laura's blog, we've stumbled upon each other! Your lists of books read is pretty amazing...and I thought I read a lot! PS - I've already started drinking champagne. Whoops! : )
ReplyDeleteWere the panda hats... coordinated gifts?
ReplyDelete