Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Catching Up (With Everyone Else)

I saw The Avengers!  Finally!  After a week of super-stress (working on a Surrealism presentation, beginning on papers/abstracts, grading grading grading, freaking out about impending first year exams, oh yeah and reading), I took a break tonight.  Zan and I went to the movies!  I absolutely loved the film (of course, it's Joss Whedon!), and about halfway through I thought, "I would see this again in the cinema."  Rare thought for me.  Although, getting me out to the cinema is rare itself. 

But, I love that feeling of sitting in the darkened theater, totally oblivious to anything but the world of the film.  For a few hours, you have nothing to do but enjoy.  You can let yourself be swept up in the action, care for the characters, laugh, cry, stuff your face with popcorn, and all the while the film holds reality at bay.  Responsibilities melt.  For a few hours you feel totally free.

Then the movie ends, and it all comes crashing down around you, and you realize that you'll probably never be a movie star, but wouldn't that be so much more fun and fulfilling than grad school?

Sigh.  If only.  Hey Joss, can I be in your next film/tv series? 

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't it a wonderful movie?!?! I have been a terrible friend and need to catch up on all these posts that I've missed.

    If you were in a Joss Whedon movie/TV show, then I think there are high chances you might get killed off. Darn Joss!!

    I've seen the movie twice. I enjoyed it more the second time around. I crush on everyone in the movie so hard, it makes me feel like a teenage girl :)

    I am currently working my way through Entourage and yes, I think being a movie star sounds like a great career choice!

    Also- I know you are busy but if you ever take a break, you are one of my 'booky friends' that I talked about on my book Q&A post that I would love to do that Q&A. Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you also for going to my guest post and commenting. You're a champ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee -- I went to see it with boys from the touring troupe, which was kind of great because it felt like middle school again. (I've realized there's a distinct lack of testosterone in my daily life, which is tragic for not just the obvious reason -- half my friends and the people I spent a lot of time with growing up were always boys, and that ratio is definitely off now). We were all about leaping out of our seats with excitement. There was lots of air-punching going on. I need to see it again. Not want. Need. ;D And yeah, I hardly ever go out to the movies anymore -- really just for major fandom things -- so actually paying for a movie *twice*? Will be a big deal.

    ReplyDelete